Submarines, Secrets & A Daring Rescue by Robert J. Skead with Robert A. Skead


Submarines, Secrets & A Daring Rescue is a book geared towards children 8-12 years old and is great at bringing history into a fiction book yet making it exciting and interesting for young readers. The authors, Robert J. Skead and Robert A. Skead, take the reader on a journey into the lives of two 15 year old twins during the Revolutionary War. They lead us on exciting adventures like bringing secret messages to special recipients, sailing through the night with the world's first submarine used in combat (fiction) and fight off theives. As the title suggests they also have to rescue someone very close to them whom I won't disclose; you will just have to read it yourself.

Personally I found this book exciting from front to back. As it is written for younger children, I finished it within a few hours so it is a very easy read. The fact that it is exciting will keep kids intrigued with no worries of it gathering dust on the bookshelf before it is finished. I am especially fond of the fact that small bits of history are pieced together in this book in subtle ways. 

At the end of the book there is a good amount of discussion questions, so this would be a great book for a young adult book club. It also has a Glossary explaining some of the terms in the book as well as Historical Letters, one of which is from George Washington to Thomas Jefferson. 

American History is an important topic for young children as it almost seems lost in our fast paced world. To get kids interested and more involved emotionally is a great idea and I found this book a great read. Even my 5 year old was interested in it as I read it out loud and demands it be kept on his book shelf until he can read it himself. I give this book a 5 out of 5 stars. 

You can purchase this book from many retailers including Christian Book Distributors and Barnes and Noble.

*I received this book from Book Look Bloggers to read and review. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions are 100% my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dance With Me, Momma

My First Giveaway!

WINNER ANNOUNCED! Forskolin Coleus - An All Natural Weight Loss Supplement Review & Giveaway