Oven Roasted Chicken
I love a good chicken dinner. I wanted something different though. Different flavors to eat together. So I created this!
- Whole Chicken, rinsed and giblets taken out or off (mine was a little over 4 lbs)
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and cut in half
- 3 stalks of celery, washed
- 1 small lemon
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 7 cloves of peeled garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- Spice Rub Blend (1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and thyme. 1/2 teaspoon of sage, rosemary and basil.)
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- Sunflower Oil
Take the spice rub blend and rub it under the skin and the remainder on top of the skin. Do the same with the brown sugar; first under the skin then on top, making sure the spice rub and brown sugar are rubbed in well for better flavor. Take the lemon and zest it over the whole chicken as evenly as you can. Then slice the lemon in half and juice in a container to remove and seeds the carefully pour the lemon juice over the top of the chicken.
On top of a boiler pan with a little bit of water in the bottom, place the chicken on top of the onion slices, carrot, celery pieces and lemon halves. Place the garlic cloves and bay leaves in the chicken's cavity. Gently drizzle the sunflower oil over the top of the chicken, evenly coating.
Cover the chicken with tin foil and place in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours. Remove from refrigerator and bake in the over at 275° for 2 hours. Check with a meat thermometer and if almost at 170° internal temperature, take the tinfoil off of the chicken. Place back in the oven and turn up the heat to 350° to finish cooking, making the skin crispy. Slice and serve!