Great Ways to Help Deal with Spring Allergies



With Spring comes allergies for some of us, me included. I am not a fan at all and have had these bothersome symptoms since I was a little kid. I used to scratch at my eyes so much they would get red and puffy and scab. Yeah, it sucked. 


This year as they are starting up again, I noticed my poor little boy has them just as bad, if not worse, than I do. So I decided to look up ways to help us not be so miserable during this beautiful time of year.

  • Keeping windows shut during the night and in the morning.
Apparently peak pollen counts are between 5am and 10am. Who would've thought? Just to be safe I have a few bedroom windows open and keep our living room patio door shut during the day. It has helped considerably.

  • Shower daily. 
I know (and hope) most people do, but with small children, sometimes they don't get bathed every day. Just to wash off the pollen from his hair and clothes, I bathe Benjamin in a luke warm bath every night now, and it has helped. To prevent his skin from drying out, I just use lotion on his whole body afterwards.

  • Wash clothes and Sheets more often
Getting the pollen off of clothes and sheets definitely helps. I would rather get a good nights sleep than roll over and start sneezing and get instantly stuffed up. I wash them in hot water too, just to be sure.

  • Got a Neti Pot?
I didn't think this would help me at all, but since I already have a Neti pot, why not try it right? It actually calmed my nasal passages and helped me fall asleep faster. 

  • Peppermint Tea Bags or Cucumber Slices on the Eyes
This helps soothe the eyes and actually feels really good whether you have allergies or not. But this definitely helps with itchy eyes and leaves a cooling sensation.

  • Keep tabs on Allergy Counts
I know you can find this out on the internet for your area. I use The Weather Channel App on my phone though and it works great. I am sure other weather apps have the pollen count as well. This just lets you know if it is going to be a high allergen day and helps you in being prepared. 

  • OTC Meds
The one that works best for me is Advil Cold & Sinus. The downfall of using meds is the fact you shouldn't take them more than 3 days in a row and they aren't good for your liver or kidneys. Most people have symptoms for far longer than 3 days anyways, and so far this year I have avoided any medications. I know Boiron has a natural remedy that you can get at the Vitamin Shoppe, but I haven't tried it out yet.


I hope this helps those of you who suffer along with us! Stay Healthy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dance With Me, Momma

My First Giveaway!

WINNER ANNOUNCED! Forskolin Coleus - An All Natural Weight Loss Supplement Review & Giveaway